EAST ROCK HOUSE, TENBY GARDE II LISTED GEORGIAN TOWN HOUSE

Location: Tenby


Built: 18th Centuary

Case Studies

History: On a drizzly Sunday morning a few enthusiastic individuals arrived at East Rock House, in St Julians Street, Tenby, to erect the first of the 12 Heritage Plaques commissioned by the environment and heritage group of Tenby 2020.

Mrs Joyce Mawdsley, the house owner, explained that Admiral Lord Nelson, Sir William and Emma Hamilton had stayed at East Rock House in 1802 while visiting Sir Williams dockyard development at Milford Haven.

The plaque which shows a small bust of Nelson along with some text was sponsored by Mrs Mawdsley in memory of her late husband Frank.

The environment and heritage group of Tenby 2020 launched the Heritage Plaque project nearly two years ago. It turned out to be a project that was far more complicated and fraught with problems than really could have been envisaged.

Undertaken 2011:

New lead parapets, gutters & flashings, external parapet wall repairs, new lead flat roof, conservation rooflights, re-slating. Internal replacement lintels, renewal of lath & plaster ceilings in bedrooms, sympathetic decoration. Stucco cornice & moulding repairs.

Managed by Jonathan Rowlands, Davies Group