POSTERN HOUSE, BRECON

GRADE II LISTED

Location: Brecon

Built: 18th Centuary

Case Studies

History: Postern House was built as a Borough Gaol after the establishment of a regular Police Force in 1835. It replaced a gaol which stood at the top of Castle Street. The County Gaol of 1690 stood at the entrance to Danygaer Road. Relocated to Llanfaes in 1781 and again rebuilt in 1870 the governor's house remains to be seen.


Undertaken 2011: Completion installation of power, lighting & heating. Replacement of riven oak lath & plaster ceilings. Minimum intervention lime plaster repairs to walls. Lime wash finish to internal walls.


Managed by Gareth Farmer Allied Solutions Ltd, Chartered Surveyors / National Park Authority