History: Built as industrial housing at the beginning of the C19. On the estate map 'The Property of the Rhymney Iron Company' of 1838 the terrace is shown, not named, opposite the 'Old Level on the Race Lace Coal'; the farm up the lane to E is called Ras Bryn-oer and the area is the site of pits and workings over a long period. Terrace was constructed to house the skilled colliers. Brynoer provided coal for iron-working furnaces and also exported it via the tramroad which ran in front of the houses and thence N across the mountains and down to the Brecon and Abergavenny Canal at Talybont on Usk.


A short distance to NW is the site of the first ironworks in Rhymney, the Rhymney Upper Furnace. The Union Ironworks was opened in 1800 and taken over by the Crawshay family in 1803; it was then expanded by the opening of a new furnace. The works passed in 1810 to Benjamin Hall who carried out further improvements. In 1825 the Bute Ironworks was established across the river to W and a few years later the sites amalgamated to form the Rhymney Iron Company. The similarity between Susannah Houses and other Crawshay house types in the Merthyr area suggests they were built at the time of that family's ownership, probably contemporary with their development of the ironworks soon after 1803.

Susannah Houses

Location: 1-4, Susannah Row, Rhymney.


Built: 19th Centuary

Scheduled for 2012:

Complete Conservation Project

Case Studies

Listed for its special interest as a rare surviving example of early industrial housing in S Wales, little altered, and for its associations with the important Rhymney Iron Company.

Managed by Steven Knott, The Ferrier Partnership